Monday, August 4, 2008

Ragnar Relay - Northwest Passage 2008



Run. Drive. Sleep? Repeat.

Get 12 crazy runners. Pile them into two vans. Load up some pillows, sleeping bags, Gu, water and food. And run for almost 30 hours. Sounds like fun??? We thought so!

On July 25-26, I participated in the Ragnar Relay. I was runner number 1 and my three legs of the relay totalled 17.8 miles. My first let was a flat 10k (6.2 miles) and began at 10am. Beautiful weather...not too hot...not too cold. My second leg started around 8pm (the reflector vest pic is me before the run). That one had a pretty good size hill to begin with and then went flat. It was my shortest run at 3.8 miles.
My third leg began at 5:40am (with only three hours of broken sleep crashing in a chair with an ottoman against it). This was a "brutal" (as my teammate Tara would say) one. Lots of tough hills. The last mile began at sea level and then rose to 241 feet above sea level. Did I mention it was 7.8 miles???
Our team finished the 184 miles from Blaine to Langley, WA in just under 29 hours. We had teammates running all night long!!! I tell ya...this seems like a totally sane thing to do until you see a bunch of crazy runners with head lamps and reflector vests running in the middle of the night. :)
I will definitely do this again next year. Anyone game????








6 comments:

The Ferguson Family said...

Cara, I was so glad to see your blog and see that you are doing just great! It's been so long(since Will's baby shower)!

Congrats on the great accomplishment! Matt and I are trying to get into shape to be able to do the Ragnar next year so, hopefully you'll see us on the team and you and I will be able to say, "I am woman, hear me "roar"!" together!hehe

Btw, you look amazing!

Lots of Love your way, Patty

Katie and joe said...

hey hey! its been a while :) you are looking so good! I wish i could run that much..... looks like fun though!

Tobler Bunch said...

I am very proud of you as well! We'll just have to see how many years we can keep running this race!! It was a delight to be with you and see you again! make sure you let us know how your marathon goes!
luv, francys

Johnny and Eirian said...

Congrats on your accomplishment, that's fantastic!!

Laura said...

AMAZING! So proud of you. Inspirational, really. :)

Michaelynn said...

Cara, you're a babe! YOu are doing amazing things. So happy for you!